The objectives of allocating fishing rights in the fishery sector are:
- promote transformation through allocation of fishing rights to entities owned and/or controlled by historically disadvantaged persons which shall include designated groups (youth, women and people with disabilities), and to broaden meaningful participation in the fishery (through increased participation, sharing value-creation opportunities and profits, and linkage
- ensure sustainable livelihoods through the promotion of fair employment;
- promote adherence to fair labour practices and improved working conditions;
- to promote food security and poverty alleviation;
- achieve maximum growth and full active subscription of the fishery specie;
- achieve optimum utilisation and ecologically sustainable development of marine living resources.
- promote investments in processing and marketing infrastructure in areas outside the metropolitan areas which are economically depressed.